You are an exceptional website designer who values the message being communicated as much as the art it is communicated with. At Volcanic, we primarily design websites for businesses and organizations looking to achieve specific results. This means you’ll need to be able to understand that sometimes the most effective solution isn’t the prettiest and results take priority over “purty pictures.”
What you’re going to be doing:
- Creating professional brochure websites built on top of WordPress for businesses and organizations looking to achieve specific results.
- Creating UI for web applications that we’re developing for customers and our own products.
- Guiding clients with making intelligent choices for their website(s).
What we’re looking for:
- You have an eye for creating polished, professional websites that can grab attention within the first few seconds. This means you’ll need to have a portfolio of websites you’ve created ready to show us. If you’re talented but don’t have a portfolio of websites to showcase to us, you either need to create a few sites for non-profits or imaginary companies (preferably for a medical professional or consultants). Without a showcase of sites, you won’t be considered.
- Great communication skills. At Volcanic, you’re going to need to explain & defend why you’ve made choices that you’ve made with your designs, both internally and when talking with clients. We’re in the business of guiding clients towards making good choices. Allowing a client to make horrible decisions isn’t acceptable. We treat them with the same care that a doctor treats his patient and we’ll expect you to do the same.
- You’re very comfortable inside WordPress or can learn it very quickly on your own. Almost every website design project we do is done inside WordPress. Understand of WP isn’t optional.
- If you’re proficient with PHP and/or Ruby on Rails, it’s a big plus. We’ve got developers who will take care of the heavy coding but being able to communicate with them intelligently is a major boost to productivity and happiness for everyone.
- You’re efficient. We pride ourselves in being able to deliver solutions at affordable prices (not cheap, but affordable.) This encourages our clients to do more work and refer us to their friends and family knowing that they’ll get a good value. This requires us to be efficient with our time. You can’t spend a week on 1 website design.
- You are reliable. Web designers are notorious for being unreliable and missing deadlines. We’ve all been there and it happens to the best of us. However, this needs to be an exception to the rule. Open communication and clear expectations are key to everyone, most importantly the clients being happy.
- You don’t need a permanent position immediately. We’re looking to start off this position as a freelance position and transform it into a full-time position once we know it’s a good fit.
- You’re able to work remotely. Being in Northern California will be a plus so we could meet up once in a while but not required.
- We’re looking for someone who is really talented and we’re willing to pay well. If you’re just starting out, take a look at our portfolio page and make sure you’ll be able to deliver sites that match or excede our current quality level. Yes, I know this is subjective. If in doubt, apply. We’ll be very direct and honest with you and we’ll always respond back.
If this is you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your portfolio, contact info and cover letter.
Job description coming soon… but if you’re good, email Mel links to work you’ve done on Github. What we like: Haml, jQuery, Rails 3, Heroku, Testing, Doing Awesome Work & Getting Things Done.
Copyright 2011 – Volcanic Web Design Company
Our Other Services: Marketing Plan Customer Loyalty